Thursday, July 28, 2011

The main event: Religion versus Science

     A fellow student, William Gee, of my Texas government class posted an intriguing blog concerning the Texas State Board of Education’s decision on the teachings of science in class. The battle between science and religion has been an ongoing debate for centuries. I totally agree with Mr. Gee’s statement that “science and religion should be view in different contexts.” However, I believe that the conclusion made by the Texas School Board of Education was the correct decision. Alternative online material to be taught with evolution as the standard science curriculum will allow each individual student to explore their thoughts and faith to determine what they believe to be truth. Science and Religion are so far from each other on the spectrum that it’s unjust to teach one point of view and not the other.

     I’m a biology major and a Christian believer. During my college years, I have come in conflict between what is right and wrong. Science is so concrete and real while religion is more arbitrary idea. Unlike Mr. Gee, I think there’s a middle between science and religion. A lot of individuals believe that you can only believe in evolution or religion, but never both.  I beg to differ. Why can’t one believe that evolution has occurred, but in God’s time? Maybe evolution and all other sciences were created by an absolute power? My opinion and your opinion will be skewed based on how deeply religious we are. Just because I believe in evolution and God doesn’t mean I’m turning my back on God.

     All in all, the Texas State Board of Education should allow the teachings of both creationism and evolution into the curriculum. It’s unjust for the government to exclude one or the other. Both have their own ideas and styles. However, each is just as important as the other. Individuals need to be exposed to the pluralism between science and religion and choose for themselves what is right or wrong. No authority should promote only religion or only science. The middle is where a person can figure out for themselves what is the truth to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment